Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Trends We Noticed - July 2017



This is our monthly update to our extended Association for Creative Industries (AFCI); a more focused lens directed on what is topical and trending.

Each month I ask a group made up of designers, educators, authors and others to share their observations of trends that relate to our industry. I assemble the content and share it via my blog and through the CHA membership email.    

Here are our latest observations:

“I was at the latest AFCI convention in Salt Lake City and had the opportunity to see some of the newest designs in the paper-crafting world.  I see more and more dimensional paper crafts.  I am seeing cards that expand into items finished projects that stand up.  I love seeing the papers that can be folded into 3D items.  I really love shaker cards and was happy to see their return with Christmas themes.  Cute is still king.  The imagery that is cheerful and fun seemed to attract the most attention.  Cute animals are everywhere.  Unicorns never get old along with the traditional bears, deer, bears and mice.”
Carmi Cimicata
Social Media Manager for John Bead Corp. and ILOVERESIN.com

“Big turquoise earrings in funky geometric shapes.”
Katherine Swift
Owner, Resin Obsession, LLC

“What I am seeing: Llamas, whimsical and snarky stitcheries, yet more succulents, rose gold (still a hit) and hand-lettering everywhere. I admit to being hypnotized while watching Instagram videos of people writing words!”
Eileen Hull
Author, Artist and Adventurer
Licensed Designer for Sizzix and Clearsnap

“Brush Lettering!”  
(When Jennifer sent this message to me I wanted to say, YES, I agree.  I saw so much brush lettering at the AFCI convention.  I even did several make and takes using techniques that were new to me.)
Jennifer Tryon
Crafter's Companion

“I'm still seeing tons of succulents, pom-poms, and pineapples - everywhere! I am also still seeing a trend in geometric shapes in jewelry, paper crafting and home decor. Often these shapes are brightly colored, accented with foils or metallic - and copper is still going strong, followed by gold! Silver is on the outs right now, it seems. In paper crafts and home decor, a "watercolored" look prevails- soft, blended colors, sometimes accented with bold navy or black. And I still see hemp/burlap/rope accents on everything, from clothes to home decor to jewelry (so much macramé, too!) I, for one, am loving the trends of color, pattern and textures!”
Jenny Barnett Rohrs

“Embroidery hoops used in a variety of diy home décor projects, wreaths, dream catchers and embroidery itself, a resurgence of cute little projects.”
Debra Quartermain
Designer
Design & Social Media KuninGroup.com
2017 Chair AFCI Designer Section

1. Pouring acrylics- everywhere  (though some just look like poured mess😁)
2. Pineapples -  still! I saw them everywhere yesterday when I was shopping
3. Painting ceramics, paint parties
Roberta Birbaum
President, AFCI Canada

“Embroidery, embroidery and more embroidery. This trend is still going strong. From fashion to crafts and decor, embroidery is hot. Add ornate tassels, pompoms, boho patterns and it’s a party now. No slowing of this trend yet!”
Lisa Kettell
Chief Designer for LK Designs


No comments: