Thursday, June 29, 2017

Trends We Noticed - June 2017


This is our monthly update to our extended Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) family; a more focused lens directed on what is topical and trending.

Each month I ask a group made up of designers, educators, authors and others to share their observations of trends that relate to our industry. I assemble the content and share it via my blog and through the CHA membership email.    

Here are our latest observations:

“Since I am working full time in the DIY jewelry industry I tend to keep my eye on the major runway shows.  Haute couture runway shows always have extravagant and one of kind details that eventually gets distilled into mainstream fashion.  Huge floral embellishment, embroideries, graphic fabrics and quirky cartoony images continue to be added to clothing in what reminds me of mixed media collage.  I see tiny patches and brooches being grouped and placed on clothing so I’ll be focussed on accessory ideas with two – three components that can be attached together.”
Carmi Cimicata
Social Media Manager for John Bead Corp. and ILOVERESIN.com

"I have noticed that hair braids are big.  Sometimes they are only on one side of the head, but I have also seen a lot of Dutch braids that start by the forehead and completely braid every last strand of hair.  I think it's a very pretty trend."
Katherine Swift
Owner, Resin Obsession, LLC

“Wonder Woman is ramping up to be the hit movie of the summer and I am seeing the superhero theme trending in birthday party decor, costumes and cuffs and tiaras in DIY jewelry. Some fans are even taking it to the next level by sticking swords down the back of their dresses and the hashtag #wwgotyourback has gone viral on the internet. I bet the executive producers didn't anticipate that! Maybe we'll see swords as an icon or accent in future fashion designs.”
Kelly Panacci
Art Licensor and Founder of Kelly Panacci Inc.

“I'm seeing more of the same- cactus/succulents, geometric designs, watercolor splashes, fouled accents, boho chic, mandala designs and Pom-Pom trims!”
Jenny Barnett Rohrs

“Well hello Summertime! How does that look trend wise? Pineapple motifs are everywhere! Bright punchy yellows, lime green and pinks on towels, wall décor, rugs, clothing and pillows.”
Debra Quartermain
Designer
Design & Social Media KuninGroup.com
2017 Chair AFCI Designer Section

“Well, I have to say that I thought they'd have disappeared by now but the fidget spinners are still everywhere. Heck, I even own two!! See, I owned up!  
I actually saw one online that held a lip balm. What will they come up with next???
Tassels & Pompoms are still a hot item on necklaces & earrings...they're all over Charming Charlie shops nationwide in every color.
Lastly, in the makeup field "highlighting" kits & matte lipsticks are storming the industry. Works great if you're 12!!!”
Suze Weinberg
Designer

“Cool accessories! From eye glass frames to shoulder bags to bracelets to necklaces...fashion wise, it's all about how you make a personal statement through unique and often handmade accessories. “
Joe Rotella


No comments: