Sunday, May 21, 2017

L Bell UV Resin Swan Kit


I don't believe I have ever completed a resin project like this in under an hour.
In fact, it might have only taken 30 minutes.  I spent twice as long typing up this blog post!

This beautiful swan is ready to wear (almost instantly) because I used UV resin.


In my last post I told you about the L Bell Japanese resin department I visited in the Ben Franklin store in Honolulu, Hawaii.  I purchased several resin kits and today was my first chance to play with this new material.  


The instructions are in both Japanese and English.

Everything is so beautifully packaged in the most adorable plastic envelopes and even a reusable jar for the dried flowers.


They have even printed onto clear film words and images you can cut and place.


The resin is a UV resin.  
This means you need a UV lamp if you are in a hurry or sunshine (if you can stand the waiting) to cure your peice.  Cure time for this resin in a UV lamp is 3-5 minutes.  
Sunshine can take up to 30 minutes.

Naturally, I have a UV lamp!


Step One: Add some resin to the swan mold.  I filled my mold half way with resin.
You have to remember that the bottom of the mold will become the top, so you are working backwards. 

Step Two: I placed my flowers and inclusions into the resin gently.

Step Three:  I shook some glitter over everything.

Step Four:  Place this half filled mold into your UV lamp for 3-5 minutes.


Step Five:  When the first resin pour is cured you can trim away part of the dried flower.  
They are sticking out higher than my mold so I cut them back.


Step Six:  Add another pour of resin to fill the mold to the rim.  Place in UV lamp for 3-5 minutes.


Step Seven:  Carefully demold your swan.  I did notice a few areas were a little sticky.  More than likely the lamp did not have the time to get right to the bottom.  Not an issue because I added a glazing layer to the top of my piece.  By that I mean I brushed an even layer of fresh resin over the entire surface.

Step Eight:  Cover the surface of your new resin swan with a glaze layer of UK resin.  
Place swan back into UV lamp for final cure.


You can't really take a great picture of a UV lamp in operation.  
Here is my swan with the final glaze layer curing.

Step Nine:  Decide how you want to use the swan.  The kit comes with a screw eye and key chain, but I am not sure yet how I want to wear it, so I'll leave that step until I am ready to use it.


This was a fabulous project.

The only thing I am worried about is that I only bought one bottle of the UV resin....and I am pretty sure I am going to need a gallon.


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: