Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Sparkly Resin Unicorn


Every few months I try to make something that younger kids 
or those young at heart might like. 
This unicorn necklace is a perfect example of a whimsical resin project that many people might consider recreating.


This unicorn pendant was made with TWO resin pours.

POUR ONE
I made a small batch of Resin Obsession Super Clear resin and poured it into my mold.


I only filled the mold about a third of the way and let this resin set.


When my first pour was almost cured I poured flakes, shapes and beads into the mold.  
These items stuck/clung to the first layer of resin.
I let this cure overnight.


POUR TWO
I made a second batch of resin and covered all my inclusions and filled my mold to the top.
I dropped in a little coloured powder and a few extra star shapes to this second pour and then let everything cure for another 24 hours.


My unicorn popped out of the mold almost perfect.  I did sand a few of the edges and then I added a screw eye to the head making the molded unicorn instantly wearable.

With my screw eye is in place all I needed to do was select my chain.


My unicorn silicone mold was purchased through 8Seasons.


It sparkles beautifully in the sun.  If I don't give it away I might make it a window sun catcher.


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: