Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Multi Color Resin Swirl Baubles - Part One


I have a two part post this week because this resin project is a very complicated one 
and it has taken me weeks to complete it.


To begin, I wanted to pour resin into some really organic shapes that mimic gemstone.
I squeezed caulk into these frame shapes on a non-stick sheet.  I let this dry for two days.


I poured a thin layer of clear resin into the bottom of each shape.  
This resin I allowed to cure for a day.
This gave me the chance to me to see if any resin would pour out from the bottom 
and it turns out it was all fine.


I selected several pretty powder colours and added them to my mixing cups
Then, I mixed a large batch of resin.


I poured my premixed resin into each cup and 
made sure all the powders were fully mixed in.

NOW STOP.
Here is what makes this work.

I let my colored resin set up in their cups for over an hour.
This made it thick like molasses before I pour it.


When you pour thick resin it maintains its color!
I dribbled it in and had a marvelous time creating these marbled effects.


See how my colours are staying in place?


I let all that resin cure for another few days and then I peeled away the caulk frames.


My baubles looked like this.
Time to sand away these edges.


After sanding, my edges look opaque 
so stand by for post two to see what I do next!


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

12 comments:

Maggie said...

Can't wait to see the end!

Resin Obsession Katherine said...

Beautiful Carmi!

Deb Fortin said...

wonderful result so far. cannot wait to see the finished gems.

Deb Fortin said...

did you use a rotary tool to do the sanding or all by hand?

creativegoddess said...

This is so awesome I can't stand it.
I totally have to give it a try!!

Tanny said...

Beautiful colors and I can't wait to see the last step. I will love to try it out.

krautgirl65 said...

This is a great technique!....Any reason you chose the DAP brand of caulk or was it just easier to apply coming out of that little tube?

Anonymous said...

Exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful results.

Carmi Cimicata said...

Dap was the brand I actually had in my tool box...I had it so long it was great to just use up the tube!

Jeanette said...

I love this technique thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

This is so creative! I love to read when a jewelry artist does something totally new, experiments with it until they are happy with the results, and then shares it with everyone else! Pinterest has allowed me to share, and I believe playing with my beats, as I call it, is the best therapy. One time I went to see my doctor about some extra anxiety I was feeling from a stress related situation and she said, "Get your beads out. It's your form of meditation." I realized how spot-on she was; when I am beading, I don't think about anything else and my brain gets time to relax, along with my-adrenaline producing adrenal glands, which are very overworked. You've got to take breaks from the stress in our world today. I can't emphasize this enough because I have degenerative disc disease from that 6-year ordeal and I'm now on disability. Playing with my beats is so much better than trying to meditate, and MUCH cheaper than therapy - I have been known to use that as areason for buying more beads! Beading for four hours feels like 15 minutes and I'm so relaxed when I'm done. Thank you for this blog post. Thank you for doing all the hard work and giving it to us as a present. Beaders are the best!

Maria Clara said...

Lindo espero a parte II. Obrigada