Sunday, November 6, 2016

Huge Agate Slice Jewelry - How To Get The look With Resin



This fall the runways still featured a great deal of agate.  However, the showstoppers for me were from Givenchy's RTW Spring 2017 show.
"The models wore them shirtless, with giant agate pendants
 suspended from tortoiseshell chains." Via Vogue

I want this look, but I already have a big collection of small agate slices I have yet to use.  
So, after hearing me whine a little about this, my colleague Fernando DaSilva came up with a brilliant idea.  "Why don't you join some pieces together with resin?"

Huh?  How did I not think of this?  
So I went back to my studio to try and figure out how to get a similar, natural look.


To begin, I placed some tape (sticky side up) on my table.  Then I used some adhesive caulk to create a huge circle which I let set for 24 hours.  Then I pressed my agate slices to the tape (which held them in place beautifully) and poured resin into all the open spaces being careful not to drip on any of the agate.

48 hours later, I peeled away the tape and the adhesive caulk.


On the back of my piece I painted a layer of resin so that the tape markings were removed.  I also focused on the edges of my agate slices so they will not pop out.

This I also allowed to cure for 24 hours + a resin glaze layer like this cures quickly.


I sanded the edges of my new piece.  Just to make it smoother.


A gold pen gave me a perfect finished edge.

My huge new agate slice is now in the hands of Fernando DaSilva 
who will choose the perfect chain for it!



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: