Monday, October 24, 2016

The Elephant Herd - Making a Mold With Several Originals


What can I say.
I love elephants!

My project began when I found these fabric panels while antiquing.
I do not think the peices are vintage, but I loved the wooden elephants anyway.
I managed to pry them off the fabric.  They are a unique grouping.
I knew I wanted to create something wearable with them, but I needed to make a mold first.
I placed some tape on my work table, sticky side up so I could position my elephants in a herd.
I used paper clay to create this wall around my elephants.
I also added some clay to my elephants so they were joined in strategic spots.
I also scratched some lines into the clay to make it look similar to the elephant carving.
I let the paper clay dry overnight.

Then I mixed a batch of silicone rubber to make my mold.
Silicone rubber is easy to find online.  See these links on Amazon for examples.

Here is my liquid silicone rubber setting up. 
24 hour later I peeled the paper clay wall away from the sides of the cured rubber.
Silicone rubber is sturdy and I trimmed away any extra rubber.
My wood elephants did get a little banged up, but they are still in great shape.  One tusk broke.
When I make a mold, I make sure I am not in a hurry.
I allowed this new mold to "rest" on my work table for two additional days 
before I poured resin into it.
I decided to make my first pour white.  
This would be a my opportunity to test the mold and see if there were any imperfections.
To my amazement, my first pour resulted in a beautiful molded duplicate.
All I needed to do was a little bit of sanding on edges!
My favorite way to color resin is with metallic rub-ons.

My molded elephants are fantastic.  I plant to brush additional resin on the backside to make my piece even stronger.  I will make this wearable very soon!


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: