Saturday, October 8, 2016

Kintsugi Repair With Resin


Have you ever broken something 
you spent a small fortune on and loved?

This is the very first art purse I ever purchased.  
Well over 25 years ago and something that took me some time to pay off. 
 I dropped it.
There isn't a glue on the planet that would make it look perfect again.
I placed it in a box and hid it for over ten years so I would not be sad looking at it.  

Then something amazing appeared in my Pinterest feed.

Kintsugi ("golden joinery"), also known as Kintsukuroi  ("golden repair") is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered goldsilver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.


I always believed that someday, somehow, I would bring this purse back to life.


Swarovski has an incredible silver ceramic epoxy called Ceralun.
I have noticed that many artisans have made it their first choice for resin clay work.
I picked some up at BeadFx in Toronto and made this my week to finally work with it.


I made a small batch of silver clay and covered all my cracks.  The soldering on this purse is extra thick so I knew I could match it.  Then, to add to the beauty of the repair I stamped into the clay with leaves and embedded a few Swarovski crystals.


I brushed a slightly darker Pearl Ex silver over the surface of the clay to match the solder.
I allowed my purse to air cure for 24 hours.


What can I say?
The purse has been returned to me!

Ready to use and I think better for the repair!



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

1 comment:

Sophie A said...

Amazingly creative idea!!!!