Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Leap of Faith Resin Bangle


I called this "leap of faith resin" because in order to create a bangle in the mold I am using you have to simply trust that you got your inclusions into the resin in the right locations.


These bangle molds are being sold in Michaels stores.  I have already heard from a few people that their local store does not have it.  If you search Etsy, you'll see some similar molds being sold by small home-based craft businesses.

To begin my project I filled my molds with resin.


Since the mold is opaque you have to just keep track of where you add your inclusions.
I used dried flowers and placed them into the resin with a pair of tweezers.


The tiny dried flowers were slightly harder to place because some of the stems needed trimming.


I dropped some glitter into the resin as well.  Some of this floated straight to the bottom which was fine by me.

I had no idea what the bangles would look like.  I just needed to wait patiently for 36 hours before pulling the cured pieces out of the mold.


One edge of the bangle will always need to be sanded.  
Sanding takes away any unevenness on the surface of the edge.
(The edge that is considered the top when you pour resin into the mold)

Once you sand however, the resin appears cloudy.


You can make the cloudiness disappear by simply painting a little more resin to the sanded edge surface.


My two bangles are now cured and ready to wear!
The bubbles in the resin would ordinarily drive me crazy, but I am going to accept that I can't get them all working in a mold such as this one.

I quite like that I had no actual control of where everything settled in the mold.
I added some thick gold foil to this bangle and really liked the effect.


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you use a clear silicone mold, you can see where your inclusions are inside. Etsy has loads for sale.