Thursday, August 18, 2016

Art Deco Vintage Belt Buckle Redesign


This art deco imagery embedded in resin is my favorite style of resin work.


My project began with a vintage belt buckle along with some resin clay.


Two part epoxy resin clay air cures.  I do wear gloves when I mix it.


I made a small batch of resin clay so that I could create a new wall in my buckle opening.
Otherwise any resin I pour in will just seep out through the underside of the rhinestones.


You can see in this picture how I created the look of a finished bezel with my clay.


I also brushed silver pearl-ex to the clay so that when my clay is cured I already have a metallic color.
I let my clay cure for two days before I came back to this project.


My next step was to cut my image to size and glue it into place.  I sealed the paper imagery three times with a decoupage clear drying medium.  I am in a hot and humid part of the world right now.  I let the glue cure for over 24 hours before pouring resin over it.


I missed taking one picture.  I actually did TWO resin pours.  My first resin pour simply covered the art deco paper imagery.  I did not pour resin right to the very top of my opening.



When the first layer of resin was cured I added some dots with gel pens and paint markers for interest. I am working directly on that first resin pour layer.


I also added this extra rhinestone chain and then poured in a second batch of resin.
My finished piece looks wonderful.  (first picture shown)
I am excited to try turning this buckle into a wearable necklace next!



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata.
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: