Monday, June 20, 2016

Duplicating a Paris Antique Brooch


I am duplicating vintage pieces again!


If you came with me to Paris I would happily show you all the tables of jewelry components and beads I comb through every year in the big antique markets.  I never know what I will find.


This year I found this metal brooch.  I knew the moment I picked it up 
that it would be easy to duplicate.  It has all sorts of tiny bumps and marks.


I simply made a ball of silicone putty and pressed my brooch into it.  I have quite a few mold making tutorials you can review if this is a new technique for you.  The bottom line is that with putty you can have a mold in under 30 minutes.


A silicone putty mold needs to "rest" for 24 before you use it so all the gasses are released.
If you don't wait, you'll see many, many bubbles in your resin.
I actually poured leftover resin (during the month of May) into this mold and made several duplicates.  The one I am showing you today is bright pink.  I don't worry about what color the resin is because I know I'll paint it later.


This heart, I took outside with a can of silver spray paint today.


One coat of silver paint later and I had a gorgeous duplicate!


I am even spraying the back.  Stay tuned.  I will turn this into a wearable next.

Final comment.
This piece is vintage so I do not know who made it.  Otherwise I would be asking for permission.
I do not sell the jewelry I make, so this is a duplicate for personal use only.



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata.
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: