Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Milk and Creamer Cameo Molds


The more I do with resin, the more I want to do.  
I also want to work with molds that are unique and exclusive.


The best way to ensure that your projects are unique is by starting with items that are vintage or very difficult to copy.  For this project I began with this truly beautiful milk and creamer tea set that I purchased at an estate sale in the Autumn.  I thought the cameos were fantastic and the pink color appealed to me in so many ways.


Making a mold is easy with any silicone mold making putty product designed for this technique.  Silicone putty cures in minutes (each company has their own instructions) and it is always a good idea to let your mold rest for 24 hours.
(Here is a link to puttys on Amazon.)

Silicone putty first came to my attention when Suze Weinberg taught me how to work with ultra thick embossing powders.  She always carried silicone putty with her because she just never knew when she might want to make a mold.  I can't tell you how hard I laughed when she said she spotted something in a garden centre that she liked, so she quickly made a silicone ball and stuck it on the side of the object to create a fast mold.....hope I am not giving away a secret Suze!

You can see in my picture that the beauty of working with putty is that you can press it into an uneven or non-flat surfaces.  I made these two molds in under three minutes and let them sit on my tea set for another 30 minutes.


After 24 hours I used a fast curing resin (10 minutes) to test each of the new molds.


When my resin is still soft I try and cut away excess pieces....less sanding later.


My samples turned out brilliantly from my experimental molds.
Here is how I used my first cameo.  
The second, is in production now.

Can't wait to see what Suze thinks!


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: