Thursday, February 18, 2016

Resin Cubes - With Leftover Resin Pours


If you visited my studio you would see an ice cube tray sitting on the corner of my resin workbench.
It is there full time.


I snapped a picture of it a few years ago when I purchased it.  It is a silicone mold which makes popping cured resin out so much easier.  Oh, and if you are new to my blog, allow me to remind you that once you fill a mold with resin or other craft products you should not use them for food again.


My mold is where I throw in leftover beads and resin from other projects.


I prepare my mold by taking the time to do one step.  
I add about 1/8 of an inch to 1/4 of an inch of clear resin to the bottom of the mold.
Since the bottom of the mold becomes the top when you pop it out, this will ensure that I have a nice clear surface.  

Then over weeks and sometimes months I place/pour into each open cavity all of my leftover resin or embellishments.

You really never know what it will look like until all the resins are cured 
and you pop these cubes out of the mold.

This current batch of cubes are so great!


I sanded the backs of the cubes to even out their surfaces.


This is what I mean when I say "paint a layer of resin" across the surface.
You can see how it instantly fills in the sanded lines and makes it glossy and shiny again.
I let a painted layer like this cure for the full 48 hours even though they appear to be ready in 24.


My finished cubes are destined to become Home DEC DIY objects.  
They'll be glued to a wood mirror or frame as unique embellishments.


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: