Monday, January 4, 2016

Sentimental Suncatcher


This extremely sentimental window suncatcher features a picture of me and a girlfriend who passed away very suddenly at the end of 2015.  It seemed appropriate to feature her in angel wings.  
She has always been there for me and I believe she still will be in spirit as well.


My bright angel suncatcher began with a bezel featuring wire worked wings from Nancy Donaldson.  I added the picture of my friend Sharon to the bezel and covered it in resin.  The tissue paper is a french brand I love.



I featured Nancy's unique wire work in a post last month too.


When my resin was cured in the bezel I flipped it over and applied my tissue paper to the wire with many coats of a clear drying glue.  I made sure that there was good contact between the tissue paper, wire and bezel back.


I allowed the glue to dry completely overnight and then I cut away the extra tissue from the edges.  
An x-acto blade is helpful to get into the tiny spaces too.


Then with a paint brush I covered all the tissue in the front with resin.
This cured overnight also.


I flipped over my piece and applied a coating of resin to the back as well.

A second coating to the front of the piece (no picture) allowed me to even everything out and scatter a few tiny glass balls.


My suncatcher will be a wonderful everyday reminder of my friend Sharon.


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: