Thursday, January 21, 2016

Downton Abbey Leather Cuff and Resin Bezel


Like most of the world's inhabitants, I am completely in love with the entire Downton Abbey television series.  I have already watched the final season and can't imagine not seeing new episodes next year.  

(I have created several pieces of jewelry about Downton, so my sidebar already has links to seven Downton Abbey themed projects.)


Much to my delight, I will be creating even more themed jewelry now that the Crafter's Companion has launched a Downton Abbey paper crafting range.  I am using dies created for paper crafting with Metal Complex Soft Leather and I love the results.  For my leather cuff I used this gorgeous oval frame they called "The Ornate Mirror."  I have plans for some of the other iconic shape too!


My cuff takes only moments to create because I am using a piece of fish leather from John Bead Corp.  These are actual pieces of fish skin...and no they no not smell at all.  Fish leather is an eco friendly sustainable resource. Its natural shape, (one side of a piece of fish) makes it an instant cuff when rolled.


I also have a crystal applicator tool that makes adding a snap a breeze.  It works with Swarovski Elements snaps, buttons and rivets.  



This allows me to put a professional snap in place quickly.


Quick Grip allows me to glue my leather cut shape right to the fish leather.  Since it dries quickly, you do not have a wet stain to deal with.


I even positioned the resin filled bezel in advance and applied glue to the back to make sure it was adhered to the fish leather securely.



Last, but not least, I used a little thread and needle to stitch through so the bezel appears to be simply sewn on.  The stitching adds a little extra detail.

Hope you like it!



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: