Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Trends We Are Noticing for 2016


This is our monthly update to our extended Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) family; a more focused lens directed on what is topical and trending.

Each month I ask a group made up of designers, educators, authors and others to share their observations of trends that relate to our industry. I assemble the content and share it via my blog and through the CHA membership email.  As always, if you see a trend do email me!

Here are the latest submissions:

“I did not think I would ever say this again but I am seeing plaid.  Blocks of colours and layered colors, which create geometric shapes, are appearing.  Plaid can be created by weaving fibers or papers so I think you will see lots of interest in color blocking.
I am not immune to the Star Wars craze.  I am also seeing futuristic clothing which means more designers will work with unique new fibers and substrates.”
Carmi Cimicata
Social Media Manager for John Bead Corp and ILOVERESIN.com

“As technology continues to grow in our everyday life - from monitored homes to wearable devices - people will work to incorporate more natural elements in to their worlds as well. Arts and crafts that bring the outdoors "inside" will grow in popularity. Natural fibers will be the material of choice. Items made with rocks and minerals in their more "natural" state (versus highly polished & carved) will be used more and more. Anything retro, from mid-century modern to truly vintage, will be hot.
Joe Rotella
CMO (Delphia Consulting),Founder (Create N Craft), Overall Crafty Guy

"My prediction for 2016 is that resin paired with wood will be the big trend.  I'm seeing more pieces of jewelry and housewares (vases, bowls, etc.) with amazing bright resin colors, paired with traditional looking wood pieces.  It's a way to make something look contemporary and classic all in the same piece."
Katherine Swift
Owner, Resin Obsession, LLC

"Typography is still holding strong at the end of 2015. I'm predicting more typography with fresh new fonts, styles and inspirational quotes into 2016.  
I think we will also see a rise in maker businesses; I expect to see more blank and ready to customize supplies for these DIY maker businesses. "
Lisa Kettell
Chief Designer for LK Designs.

"In jewelry: lockets to keep photos of loved ones. Clear glass lockets filled with seed beads, little crystals or gemstones and tiny charms.
- Futuristic metal worked accessories - a mix of Star Wars, retro Jane Fonda /Barbarella and Wonder Woman
- Geisha inspired hairpieces
More trends:  Clutches will be a night and day thing - slightly larger to fit mini IPad and a credit card with inserted chip and a lipstick only.
Floral 3D jewelry designs
And again, basket weaving techniques will be everywhere."
Fernando DaSilva
John Bead Creative Director

"One trend I’m noticing is in advertising (and I’m finding it super prevalent and kind of annoying, but still a trend) is that the announcer will make a statement of some sort, for example, “This bed is super soft” and a tiny chorus of high voices will quietly shout “yay”  or  “go you” or “wheee” or some such thing. I know it’s not a visual trend, but it appears to be a very popular advertising hook right now.
A more visual crafty trend, I’m seeing LOTS of floral fabric bows lately. They are shown on hair, as brooches, on handbags. I recall this was hot about 4-5 years ago and it seems to be making a bit of resurgence.
I’m also seeing a lot of clothing lines that are monochromatic, coordinated sets. So stores are being set up with a “teal green” corner with 4-8 teal colored tops, 4-5 black pants, 4-5 black and teal tops, 4-5 teal skirts or pants, a few jackets, some sparkly evening wear…but all on the same single color scheme.  Then there is a red corner…etc.  I just returned from the extremely trendy and hot shopping district of Munich, and this was the case there as well."
Laura Weed
Stampendous Graphics Manager

No comments: