Thursday, December 24, 2015

Recycling Greeting Cards with Resin



I think you will want to save this year's collection of Christmas/Holiday Cards.



These are a few of my favorite cards from 2014 Christmas.
I always keep them in my box of ornaments so I can see them again when I decorate the following year for Christmas.  The Thomas Kinkade card on the left is so beautiful I knew I would make 8-10 bottle caps with just that one card.


To recycle greeting cards into fridge magnets or simple embellishments all you need is a one inch circle hole punch, bottle caps, resin and a few other craft supplies.

The one inch circle punch is a luxury.  It allows you to select the portion of the card you love and the punched image fits into the bottle cap perfectly.

Bottle caps are quite deep.  I usually add about 1/4 inch of resin to the bottom the day before I start the project so my punched artwork sits a little bit taller in the cap.  You can see the cured resin in the top cap.


After punching all my paper imagery I glue and seal it into the caps.
I always seal the paper with at least three coats of a clear drying glue and allow that to dry overnight before pouring in resin.


I also like to add a little glitter glue to all the edges to frame the image in the cap.


Any resin will work.  Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's mixing instructions.
During the winter, be aware that winter resin does not like the cold, so keep your project and the resin in a warmer location.


Here's how my friend Maria's personalized Christmas card looks as a set of magnets.


A big Santa card can be cut down into just key sections.


The birds on this card I just loved.


All the Thomas Kinkade caps look beautiful.
I hope you save your 2015 cards for this project in 2016.



This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata.
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: