Saturday, November 28, 2015

Marbled Resin Effect


Purple and green is a color palette I adore.
These rhinestone framed buttons are so easy to make 
and they allowed me to start a new project featuring these two colors.

I've been collecting images with green and purple for a while on my Pinterest page.
I knew that sooner or later I would have to make something influenced by these examples.


I have been experimenting with products from Resin Obsession.  I love their brand new opaque colorants and their Super Clear resin has been a delight to work with.  I pulled out their new green and purple pigments for this project.  I made two small batches of resin following their instructions and allowed the resin to sit mixed in their cup for almost an hour.
My Resin Obsession project posts are all linked here. 
These are the buttons I worked in.  The John Bead Outlet in Toronto has a whole bunch of buttons like this.  You could easily glue in crystals...but I choose to pour in resin.


Since I allowed my resin to sit mixed in a cup for almost an hour...it was very thick when I added a dollop to each button cavity.  First I dropped in the purple.


Then I dropped in the green.  A toothpick run through both colours created the swirls.

What I love about this technique is seeing how the resin can keep the swirl effect as though it was marbled paper.

(The mold the buttons are sitting in is my way of propping the buttons so they lay flat and the button shank does not get in my way.)


This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. 
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: