Monday, May 25, 2015

Trends We Are Noticing For the Craft & Hobby Association May 2015


This is my fourth monthly update to our extended Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) family; a more focused lens directed on what is topical and trending.

Each month I ask a group made up of designers, educators, authors and others to share their observations of trends that relate to our industry. I assemble the content and share it via my blog and through the CHA membership email.  

Here is my submission:

“It seems like there is a return to an interest in basket weaving.  I am seeing baskets made of yarn, paper and other unusual fibers.  I think it is almost mixed-media basket making.”
Carmi Cimicata
Social Media Manager for John Bead Corp and ILOVERESIN.com

Here are the trends everyone else noticed:

I have been spotting lots of lace earrings.”
Fernando DaSilva
Product Development and Creative Manager for John Bead

“My mom always said "Everything comes back in style." Lately, I've seen people interested in macramé! I can't tell you how many plant hangers and owls I made 30+ years ago. I've even seen small books folded and turned in to Santa's and Christmas Trees. Remember doing that with Reader's Digest back in the day? My mom was right... everything comes around again.”
Joe Rotella
CMO (Delphia Consulting),Founder (Create N Craft), Overall Crafty Guy

"With summer approaching, I'm seeing customers move towards wanting bright colors in their finished jewelry.  They are either creating it themselves in their resin castings or by adding unique findings and beads to the finished designs."
Katherine Swift
Owner, Resin Obsession, LLC

“Stencils continue to be hot, with a greater range of designs being released by a wider range of companies.”
Seth Apter
The Altered Page

“In the paper world, an emerging trend is pocket letters- fill a divided page protector with little notes, gifts and artwork and mail off to your pen pals. I am happy to see a revival in snail mail and actual handwriting!”
Eileen Hull
Licensed Designer for Sizzix and Clearsnap

“The resurgence started in France, crossed the channel to the UK and is now settling on North America. The trend is coloring books. Booksellers and retailers are noticing a significant rise in sales of coloring books after publishers began marketing them as therapeutic and de-stressing. Adults are buying them not just for kids but for themselves. Intricate illustration books like "Secret Garden" by Johanna Basford are so beautiful that you can frame the individual pages to make your own DIY wall art.”
Kelly Panacci
Art Licensor and Founder of Kelly Panacci Inc.

“Over the past month I've been noticing a trend in vintage camping. This trend as now been coined: "Glamping." Glamping stands for glamorous creative camping. From rubber stamps to clothes, vintage camping trailers, mason jars and pennant banners are popping up in the creative industry. Many creative institutions are recognizing this glamping trend, so be on the lookout for more. It's fresh, it's vintage and it's perfect for summer crafting. “
Lisa Kettell
Chief Designer for LK Designs.

If you observe a trend and would like to submit it please send me an email at
Carmi Cimicata

iloveresinblog@gmail.com

No comments: