Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Faux Druzy Pendants

I have several new pieces of jewelry that are ready to wear this summer.
They each feature a faux druzy pendant shape I created with
There are many fabulous examples of Druzy stones being used in jewelry making.

From the What is Druzy site:  Druzy is the glittering effect of tiny crystals over top a colorful mineral. It is beautiful when used in making jewelry. One of the perks to druzy stones is that they are not as expensive as big faceted gemstones and they have sparkle and great color and it can be cut into various shapes with ease. The druzy quartz gems grow slowly over millions of years and are found as the very last layer of growth on agate or another colorful base. It does not always refer to quartz, druzy is any kind of mineral found in a plate-like form, such as garnets, calcite, dolomite and malachite. Common colors are white, yellow, brown, red, and orange. Druzy style beads are great for centerpieces in pendants. While they look sparkly and delicate, druzy quartz is a fairly durable gem. 

Stampendous sent me a wonderful collection of crushed glass glitter to experiment with.


I made a larger portion of resin which I poured into smaller cups.
I then poured my glass glitter right into the resin.

I mixed this resin and let it rest for a while.


After 15 minutes I was able to see if most of the glass was properly covered with resin.


Step One:
I drizzled the glass glittered resin onto metal blanks.

These metal blanks are from Metal Complex and because they are pre-drilled they are very easy to hang.


I let my first drilled layer of resin/glass glitter cure overnight.
Step TWO:
Then I painted on a thin layer of clear resin over their surfaces.


I dumped additional glass glitter to that surface glaze of resin so they would look exactly like their real counterparts.  I allowed this layer of resin and glitter to cure for a full two days before I brushed away the excess glitter.  

Simple, fast and so effective!




This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

No comments: