Friday, February 27, 2015

Molded Dog Journal Cover and Video How-To


My last journal was quickly filled with notes and to-do lists.  Since I carry them with me at all times I really like to have a cover that makes me happy.  
Over the last few years I have been designing my own covers on plain black journals.


I have a second golden retriever living with me now, so I wanted to commemorate her arrival with this new journal.  Today I will show you how I actually made my dogs with resin in a mold.

video

The video is a quick review of how I use silicone rubber for mold making.  No matter what products you use yourself, you would need to follow the instructions the manufacturer provides to make your own batch of pourable rubber.


I made two dogs in my mold by mixing black pigment into my mixed resin.
Then, you can see here that I applied resin clay to the surface of my journal and then pressed my digs into it.  They will be permanently embedded now.


I brushed Pearl-Ex across the surface to give the clay a little sheen.  At this point I was not sure how I would ultimately paint the cover.


I also rubber stamped a few quotes into the clay.
I allowed this to cure overnight.


In the end, influenced by other projects on my table, 
I opted to paint my cover with metallic gold and bright paints.

This new journal is a riot of colour.  You could make it less bohemian by adding fewer paint options.  The most important item on the cover however are the two dogs which I embedded in resin clay.
I love my new journal!

Links to the silicone rubber I used and Jewelry Clay.



 


Also, take a look at many Silicone Rubbers from different companies.

 This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata. Please do not repost any part of it without permission.

2 comments:

Gwen Toffling said...

I Have A Few Plain Covered Journals, I'll Have To Try This.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

The molded dog is truly brilliant and so is the video. Thanks Carmi.