These resin shapes are a happy accident.
In my studio they were referred to as the blue experiment.
My project began with an odd ice cube tray.
You can't see from the picture but
six of these cube opening have about half an inch of resin in them.
Then I mixed up a second small batch of blue resin.
You can see here that I dripped the blue resin into the original uncolored resin and then added some beads and copper foil flakes.
I had some pink paint on my desk and decided to drop some in as well.
My plan was to let all this cure in the tray itself.
However, I didn't like how it looked at this point and made a spur of the moment decision to pour everything out!
Working on a non stick sheet, I poured each ice cube opening of resin and inclusions out.
It had already been about 40 minutes, so the resin was getting thick.
They just simply cured here on the sheet!
The next day I simply pulled the "dollops of resin" from the non stick sheet.
If you ever work on these sheets, you'll notice that they leave a pattern on your projects.
I brushed a glaze layer of resin across the back of each piece to make them smooth and unmarked.
I really was amazed with the results!
I used a metal hole punch to create points I could join.
Using a needle and beading thread I joined my pieces together in this unique shape.
The result is this fabulous new necklace!
This post written, designed and photographed by Carmi Cimicata.
Please do not repost any part of it without permission.