Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Miniature Resin Molds

 These little resin picture frames are about one inch and a half inches tall.  
Tiny. 
I LOVE THEM!
I have had to put my goal to work in miniature to the side for a few years.  That doesn't mean I can't perfect some techniques that will be useful for my future miniature mansion.
 These tiny vintage copper frames are from an antique market in Paris.  I had a feeling I could make a really good mold of them with EasyMold silicone putty.
 I have been experimenting with EasyMold for a month now trying some new ideas.  I decided to test a few frame options.  I molded two of the copper frames and set them aside.  The molds cure in 25 minutes, but you need to let the mold rest for a full 24 hours before your pour resin into it.
 I also wanted to make a unique picture frame of my own design.  I glued rhinestone chain to a one inch square piece of wood.
 I pressed this into my EasyMold.
 The frame was duplicated perfectly.  
Next step: to make a batch of gold resin!
 I used Envirotex Lite Resin for this project because my molds are very shallow. 
 I added gold pigment powder to my resin and poured it into my new frame molds.
48 hours later...three excellent picture frames!
I used metallic wax paste to add colour.  
These pastes allow me to "age" my resin duplicates.
 When my picture frames had the colour depth I liked it became very clear that my molds captured every tiny detail from the originals. 
 I have lots on 1 x 1 inch art to choose from...so making final selections was tough!
 Here are my new miniature picture frames.  
One day, they'll be hung on a miniature wall!
The best part of this project?
Now that I have three new molds, I can make as many frames as I need!

This post was designed, photographed and written by me.

It appeared on Resin Crafts Blog.

5 comments:

Hot Rocks said...

Wow! Those are so beautiful. What a great project, thanks for sharing the technique.

CalibyCreations said...

This is gorgeous. What fun when you finally have a tiny wall.

SueBeads said...

These are amazing!

Heidi_P. said...

Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Chrizette said...

I love these - beautiful. Such a romantic feel to them :)

Bead Soup Mix