Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sequins and Halloween Molds - What Not To Do!

 The resin gods have not tripped me up in a while.  I received a large dose of "what not to do" this week.
 I wanted to showcase these very cool sequins in resin.  My EasyCast cured beautifully, my mold worked without issues, but my sequins are a disaster.  These samples are going into the trash so I am not haunted by my mistake.
 You can not put glue on 
a sequin and expect 
it to look fabulous.  
It is common sense really.  The sequins are so shiny and the glue dulls it in a way that is not precise or even.
Sigh.
This would have been a great sample. 
What bothers me is that I have done this before.  I have a note posted on my sequin box now reading..."Careful not to let glue onto sequin front!!"
Here is the back of one piece.  I placed my sequins face down into glue.  The backs remained clean, and as you can see...they look fabulous under EasyCast.  Lesson learned.  AGAIN.

This post was designed, photographed and written by me.

It appeared on Resin Crafts Blog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you can't place the sequins face down in the resin? Are you going to attempt this project again? It looks really cool!

Carmi said...

Yes, I am stubborn. I am going to redo this. If I had just placed the sequins into the resin, it would have been perfect..as you can see from the back side. So, stay tuned!

Valerie Brincheck said...

Have you tried using a glue that dries clear and glossy like Glossy Accents or Diamond Glaze? I know I have painted over sequins with both of these and they don't dull the shine.

Carmi said...

I have all the glues...and in the end, I stick with one or two. I plan to just not put glue on the sequins in the future. I will just embed them in the resin...technique to be explained next week!

Hannah Adams said...

Looking forward to hearing that technique. I have two huge bags of sequins and I have been pondering how to embed them as I am a novice. Will stay tuned...