Friday, May 11, 2012

Jewelry Resin for Repair Work

 Here is a sweet fairy ring.  I am sure you might look at it and think it was my original idea to make a ring featuring this great artwork from the Crafter's Companion.  The fairy image is embedded in a layer of Jewelry Resin.  It domed very nicely if I do say so myself.
 This ring is actually a repair challenge.  Some time ago I filled this bezel ring with resin clay.  Resin clay cures rock hard.  It was my intention to add crystals to the clay...but I was unable to complete the task and the clay cured unadorned.  Did I mention it is now solid?
 My first step to save the ring was to apply some tissue paper to the surface.
 I covered the tissue paper with a thin glaze of Jewelry Resin and let it cure.
 Then, the secret layer.  
My fairy is a rub-on.  So I rubbed it onto the surface and then carefully applied my final doming layer of Jewelry resin.
I think it turned out super!  Consider trying this technique with rings or pendants you may not like anymore!


This post was designed, photographed and written by me.

It appeared on Resin Crafts Blog.

7 comments:

Wax Beach Artist said...

A great fix. She is beautiful!

Hilary Frye said...

Hi Carmi,

Did you glue and/or seal the tissue paper to the ring first before applying the resin on top? Very cute ring!

Thanks!

Carmi said...

That is a good question. Tissue paper is so thin that the glue seeps through it. I "patted" lots of glue(mod podge) on top of the tissue once I had glued it in place, so yes, I sealed it, but with only one application.

CalibyCreations said...

That came out great, if you hadn't shared, we would think it was on purpose. Thanks.

Beetique said...

What a great save. Where do you get the rub ons? You come up with some great stuff!

FryeStyle said...

Thanks!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Great save! Turned out awesome Carmie!